Thursday, January 29, 2009

You Are Now Leaving the State of Florida

As if to punish me, Florida has been beautiful the past few days as I've been cleaning my house and preparing to leave this place that has been my home for twenty years. When I arrived, I came to work for WESH TV in Orlando and it was October. I remember saying to our sports anchor, "Gee, this is a warm day, isn't it?" And he looked at me and smiled and said, "Wait 'til you've been here in August."

I had come to Florida after covering the White House (George H.W. Bush) for Group W and I had been wearing my hair a little longer than I am now. A few days after I arrived I had to go get my Florida driver's license and the picture they took shows my hair curling in the Florida humidity.



The funny thing is: they kept using that same picture for 20 years, and as the years went by and I grew older the picture looked better and better to me. Then, just a few weeks ago, I got a notice that my license was expiring and this time they would need a new photo to meet the new federal national security guidelines.

So, now that I am leaving Florida I finally have a new driver's license photo. It looks a little bit more like a mug shot and, sad to say, I look a little bit more like a grown-up lady. Time ... you thief.


I'll be leaving on a jet plane in just a few hours. And I see that sign in my head that says "You Are Now Leaving the State of Florida." California here I come. And, as it turns out, it is right back where I started from.

Subscribe to Robin Chapman News


5 comments:

Florida Beach Basics said...

Bon voyage, and let us know when you have arrived safely. A whole new adventure!

marge

Robin Chapman said...

Stay tuned. New adventures to follow! Hope to see you soon in the Golden State.

Bob Liddle said...

R ya there yet?

Rocky said...

I heard a another lady named Robin on the radio as I was driving to work today and thought of you. It has been quiet a few years since Nancy and I were your next door neighbor. From time to time we have wondered what you were up to and now we will know. We moved from our old neighborhood in Winter Park 5 yrs. ago. The old WP neighborhood has changed so much.
Good luck in California.
Rocky & Nancy

Robin Chapman said...

Rocky and Nancy: Tell me where you've moved off to??? I hate to tell you how much I like California and don't miss the old neighborhood, alas. But I do miss friends like you. Hope all is well. Email me at the same email address I've always had, with your latest updates!