Monday, July 1, 2019

World War II Aircraft Speak of Courage on D-Day Anniversary

Robin Chapman standing with the B-24 aircraft dubbed "Witchcraft" at Moffett Federal Airfield. The B-24 is maintained by the Collings Foundation.

I probably would not have taken a flight on this World War II aircraft, if I had not won it in a drawing at the Moffett Historical Museum. My parents were members of the museum before me, and every year the museum holds a drawing when the Collings Foundation's Wings of Freedom Tour pays a visit to Moffett. Entering the drawing is a way to contribute to the museum. No one was more surprised than I when they drew my ticket. 

I was a little bit jittery about going up in that old crate. But when I decided to write about it in my column at the Los Altos Town Crier I was able to click into journalism mode. The 75th anniversary of D-Day was at hand and I realized it was a great way to pay my respects to the young men who long ago had flown this craft in harm's way. Click on the link for my story:

We flew low and we flew slow. What an experience!

I didn't mean to be smiling in this picture, nor trivialize what a machine gun can do.
I'm pretty sure I was still scared when I grabbed on to it and another passenger snapped my pic. 

No comments: