Thursday, April 19, 2012

New Trouble for Ms. Gimpy?

Ms Gimpy today. You can see how she is standing on her left leg, and raising her right.

I hadn't seen Ms. Gimpy in a couple of days, when she appeared this afternoon. I think she's been busy sitting on a nest. But today, when she glided over to where I was working outside--to say hello and grab a snack--it was obvious she was having new trouble with her right leg. She was trying to keep her weight off it as she stood to eat.

Right leg up, Ms. Gimpy keeps her eyes out for trouble as she eats.

I've seen her a couple of times now and I'm not sure what is wrong. Is her right leg just stiff, because she has had to tuck it under her for such a long time as she sits nesting?  Like an aging athlete, who limps from an old injury after he has been seated watching a game on a hard bench seat on a chilly night?

I don't have enough information, yet, to say. And there isn't much I can do to help her, in any case. She's a wild bird, after all.

All I can do it to keep bringing a few seeds with me when I come outside--that and keep the birdbath full. 

Just the tip of her right leg shows in this picture, as she balances on her left.

I don't say much about this these days, but, in 2003-2004, I was having my own walking challenges. But I'm all patched up now and I'm doing great. Danced at Mr. Latshaw's wedding and everything.

I can only wish the same for my friend the intrepid jay. From her friend, the intrepid Robin.

Maybe she just needs some of that glucosamine chondroitin I keep reading about? On it!

Add to 
Google Reader or Homepage
Subscribe to Robin Chapman News

No comments: