Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dancing With the Candidates

This ... is... Jeopardy! The CNN "debate set."

I'm going to have to watch the Republican "debate" tonight (Thursday, January 26) on CNN.  These live spectacles have been riveting this year--kind of like a train wreck.

I'm posting this with a news release photo of the CNN "debate set." Is it just me, or does it look like it ought to go with the theme from "Jeopardy?"

During the last few debates I confess to having such a hard time with the concept of any woman wanting to be Newt Gingrich's mistress, that I know I've missed a lot of the really important details.

Like: whether or not Mitt has a "passion deficit" as Senator Lindsey Graham says. And why Rick Santorium's poor old grandfather from Italy was forced to dig all that coal in Pennsylvania with his hands. (Didn't they have mining tools back then?)

Though the set looks like a game show, the "debates" have more of the feel of a reality show. I'm waiting for Simon Cowell to roll his eyes and send one or two of these guys off the island. Wait, that's another show.

Newt Gingrich has a charge account at Tiffany and Co? I guess that could help attract a mistress. But since he can afford that--why can't he get himself a personal trainer?

And Mitt. I agree with Senator Graham that it does seem as if--when Mitt speaks--his mind is elsewhere. Maybe he's mentally running through the interest rates on the money he has parked in the Cayman Islands. The Cayman Islands? Who besides Bernie Madoff has an account there?

Of course, the Democrats hate the fact that Romney is so rich. Though why it was okay for JFK to be rich and not Romney--I'm not sure. First generation wealth is so five minutes ago.

Anyway: this year's bunch has me peeking at the whole thing through my hands, like the audience in The Producers when they see the first act of "Springtime for Hitler." At least I can relax a little when they let Ron Paul get a word in. He's always good for a laugh.

Why does this not seem like a thoughtful way to pick a president?

I mean, I know this works well on "American Idol" and "Dancing With the Stars" but--oh dear, I'll have to excuse myself. I've just had a vision of Newt Gingrich in spandex.

Add to 
Google Reader or Homepage
Subscribe to Robin Chapman News

No comments: