Saturday, April 2, 2022

Lunch With the Queen: A Stanford Student Remembers

Stanford student Garin Veris look very shy as he shakes hands with Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain. His fellow student Raga Elim is on his right and Stanford president Donald Kennedy is at far left. HRH looks truly delighted to be meeting Mr. Veris. 

Nearly 40 years ago, Queen Elizabeth II came to California on an extended tour. I was working in Washington DC then, but I read about the visit as I researched an upcoming book. I decided to write a short piece for the local newspaper about the visit and looking for a quote for my piece, I realized many who met her then were no longer with us. Reviewing the list of Stanford students who met her, I came up with a winner.  Click the link for the rest of the story:




No comments: