Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Apricots in Paradise: Tracing the Roots of a Garden Legacy

It is snowy and cold in many parts of America this time of year. But March, in the San Francisco Bay Area is the time of year our many fruit trees begin to bloom.

I had not intended to spend the rest of my career, after the publication of California Apricots: The Lost Orchards of Silicon Valley (History Press 2013), writing about apricots. It is just that people can't seem get enough information about them. I can certainly understand that.

In fact, I'm working on a new book about six exceptional people who made a difference in California history, from 1769 to 1931. I'm wrapping that manuscript up now and that book should be out this fall, again from History Press.

But when the local paper called and asked for an article on "apricots in the garden" I took a little time away from editing to write the piece. One thing I have realized is that even in my new book, many of the profiles of interesting historical characters are linked by their work in or their love of California's famous orchards. So I can't get away from the subject, and I guess I don't want to.

Here my latest article. Click the link and I hope you enjoy.



Subscribe to Robin Chapman News

No comments: