Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Feat of Wedding Feet Survival

Lena's dress was gorgeous.

Now that our family wedding is over, I can put my feet up, metaphorically and figuratively. Everyone agreed that niece Lena's dress was an absolute wow. It looked great on her and she looked mah-ve-lous in it.

It didn't even occur to me to think of what she had on her feet until I saw her on the dance floor. Shoes preoccupied everyone else, but I figured she just had on some pretty, sparkly wedding dress shoes.

As a matter of fact, on event day, all involved pondered long and hard what they would wear on their feet, as having comfortable feet is very important at long-ish family events. At the same time, especially for the ladies, having good-looking feet is of almost equal import.

The bride rose to the challenge by interpreting the "something old" in her ensemble to mean her shoes. She chose her favorite comfortable--for her anyway--sling-back platform pumps.

Lena's wild shoes.

Lena likes animal prints, so the shoes were that je ne sais quoi twist that adds just the right touch and turns clothing into style.  The elegant dress: those tarty shoes!

There were quite a lot of shoes with a a certain tart factor--which is a look now, no comment on the wearer!  Gone are the days of those classic linen pumps we used to wear to weddings--you know, the ones we had dyed to match our dresses? Here is a glimpse of one bridesmaid's slippers:

Bridesmaid's shoes aren't quite what they used to be!


And here's another pair--I did love her date's retro look, BTW ....


It was Colorado and it warm, so lots of the ladies wore dressy sandals which look good and are also comfy:

I like this look ...

And this as well. This pair belongs to my sis, and I believe she was doing the "YMCA" at this point, which I agreed not to photograph.

Among the junior girls, I love a little girl who likes to create her own look. So this young lady got my vote for her sense of style: 


But it was hard to beat our youngest guest, and youngest family member, who opted for placing her emphasis on her millinery, rather than her lace-ups.

Grace goes au naturale on the tootsies, as older brother James looks on with envy.

But I also liked her cousin Mary's utilitarian look. Mary is just beginning to walk, so tread is very important at her stage of life, as it will also be about 70 years from now.

These shoes were made for walkin', and that's just what they'll do.

I have my own special set of shoe issues, since my hip surgery several years ago. I don't want to give you too much information, but really high heels shift the pelvis, and the-hip-bone's-connected-to-the ... oh never mind. Anyway, I dug into my closet and found a pair of moderately high, Gucci platform slides that I knew would come in handy one day. They suited this particular day perfectly--as the iconic Gucci logo colors included the blue-green of my dress. And they were pretty comfortable for dress shoes. 


And, they didn't outshine my hat. And though not tarty, they did ensure that there was no frump in the hat--not in shoes like those. Which was very good of them.


As pilots say about a good landing: we could all walk away from this one. So we accomplished a feat indeed.

No comments: