Friday, November 8, 2019

The Origin of Alfred Hitchock's Classic Movie "The Birds"


Alfred Hitchcock in a vintage postcard promoting his 1963 film "The Birds."
Because of his television show (1955-1965), he became at least as famous as the stars of his movies.

Most fans of classic films love Alfred Hitchcock, and I am certainly among them. I do think he's a tad too corny at times. But I suppose corny can be a relief from the really scary things he does to us. The movie "Psycho," for example, is one of my favorite films. I don't want to like it: but each time it is on television, I can't seem to look away. 

And that is true of his film "The Birds." The dialogue is nonsense, the plot incomprehensible, and the beautiful Tippi Hedren has this little teensy baby voice that doesn't seem to fit her body. But I watch it anyway because I can't not do that. What I did not realize, until I happened to be at a museum in Capitola one day recently, was that "The Birds" owes a lot to a very odd, very real event in that California beach town. Click for my article from the Los Altos Town Crier:

CLICK FOR ARTICLE ON HITCHCOCK AND THE BIRDS

No comments: